With a degree in Mining Engineering and extensive experience in management, planning, production and projects obtained during his employment at Sasol, BHP Billiton and South32, Gerrie not only has the ability to see the long term big picture, but he also has the practical skills to simplify complex issues and effectively transforms good ideas into workable solutions.
Armed with a bold vision, a passion to make a difference in South Africa and an MBA from the University of Stellenbosch Business School, Gerrie pursued a new career to be part of a solution to an old problem: help save water. He started AQUAffection in 2015, as the vehicle to drive this dream and instigate change.
Passion being what brought the AQUAffection team together, Gerrie believes that the power to effect the much needed change to make a significant difference, lies in the collective effort to save water, one-drop-at-a-time. For the past 6 years the team has lobbied anyone within earshot to join the good fight, to truly understand the water challenges we face, and to start by fundamentally change our relationship with water.
Some achievements of AQUAffection's journey to date:
- More than 1.1 Billion litres of water saved through the combined efforts of individuals and companies.
- Started the #SurplusWater2025® movement to educate, raise awareness and provide tools and tactics to help reduce water demand and to track the impact in South Africa. This provides a way to quantify savings, operational effectiveness and sustainability (ESG) measures.
- Development of an online training platform and resource hub to digitally support the #SurplusWater2025® movement, increasing reach and making information available and accessible to a wider audience.
- Developed and patented a toilet outlet valve, a cost effective retro-fit of existing systems, resulting in massive water savings, and available at most major plumbing outlets
BEng (Mining Engineering), University of Pretoria
Mine Managers Certificate of Competence (MMCC), Department of Mineral Resources
MBA, University of Stellenbosch Business School
Frikkie started his career as Design Technician after finishing his studies. He then followed heart and passion, and developed a very exclusive product for a niche market as employee of Golder Associates, specifically focused on the surface rehabilitation for opencast and open pit mines in South Africa.
Before becoming involved with AQUAffection, he was actively involved at many of the mayor coal mines located in the Highveld region of South Africa. During these 10 years as consultant, he was mainly involved in the predictive mined out topographies and the post mining landform design for open-cast coal mines, with more than 25 000 hectares of detail designs under his belt.
During 2011 and as part of a team, he received a highly commended global award for technical excellence and quality, for his contribution, during a 24-month long project for BHP Billiton Energy Coal South Africa. His creative, analytical and strategic way off thinking, extensive technical knowledge, and his holistic approach allows him to be able to come up with innovative new ideas with market value – no matter what the application.
- BArch (Architecture), University of Pretoria
- Autodesk Civil 3D Certified Professional
- Higher diploma in Mineral Resource Management and Mine Planning, University of the Witwatersrand
Head of Long-term Contracts, Skills Development and Training
Susan is a Social Psychologist with extensive knowledge in the field of Gestalt Psychology. She completed a BA Degree in Sociology in 1999 and a Masters Degree in Psychology in 2013. Her experience during her BA studies as a tutor in Sociology was a practical way of learning to take academic knowledge to the student. She has lots of teaching experience and practised as a play therapist before joining the AQUAffection team.
Her life philosophy is that our background is no excuse to make a mess of life and that any kind of blame shifting is dangerous ground. Inspired by the likes of Nelson Mandela en Mahatma Ghandi, “Do not wait for any one else or for circumstances to change before making the impact you need to make in the world you live in”.
She firmly believes that education can create awareness that in time will overcome challenges and change the world we live in. Knowledge inspires and generates self confidence. Education is a lifelong process and unique to every person. Developing Skills in the workforce and individuals, creates self-worth in people and in turn creates the awareness that ‘I can make a difference’..
- BA (Sociology), University of Pretoria
- BA Hons (Psychology), UNISA
- MA (Psychology), North West University
- SACE Registration: C12506325
- Registered Facilitator, Assessor, Moderator